ACLS & Airway Management, Initial Course
ACLS is an advanced, instructor-led classroom course that highlights the importance of team dynamics and communication, systems of care and immediate post-cardiac-arrest care. It also covers airway management and related pharmacology. In this course, skills are taught in large, group sessions and small, group learning and testing stations where case-based scenarios are presented.
This workshop will provide participants with American Heart Association ACLS® Certification and provide a full day of medical emergency management techniques. Course consists of didactic lectures, intensive imaging, discussion and hands on workshop with mannequins and patient simulators.
Audience: This course is appropriate for dentists and assisting staff.
BLS Coures suit healthcare providers with varying skillsets, but mainly attemp to reverse pulseless arrest (death). ACLS and PALS help advanced teams perevent the deterioration of alive patients, but most dentists either cannot perform or lack equipment/credentialed staff to perform the interventions. Further, the most costly “dental emergency kits” contain drugs/supplies unfamiliar to dentists. To address these issues, the speaker (an AHA instructor) teaches feasible worflow within the audience’s skillset. In addition to discussion, attendees receive handouts with office supply lists and EM algorithm germane to dental settings.
Objectives: At the conclusion of this program, participants should be able to:
- Recognize and initiate early management of peri-arrest conditions that may result in cardiac arrest or complicate resuscitation outcome;
- Manage cardiac or respiratory arrest until return of spontaneous circulation and respiration, termination of resuscitation or transfer of care;
- Recognize other life threatening clinical situations and provide effective initial care and transfer to reduce disability and death;
- Describe & demonstrate a variety of techniques for maintaining oxygenation;
- Recognition, anticipation and maintenance of difficult airways
Faculty: American Heart Association® Certified ACLS Instructors